How to Cure Acid Reflux at Home Naturally
Acid reflux and gastroesophageal reflux disease are closely related. It causes a rather painful burning sensation in the chest and abdominal area and can be very discomforting in nature. Occasional acid reflux is common and can be managed with lifestyle and dietary changes.
Happy Success Stories
What is Acid Reflux?
Acid reflux is backward flow of acids from the stomach to the esophagus. Esophagus is a muscular tube that connects the throat and stomach. During acid reflux occurrences the food or fluid contents can be tasted in the back of the mouth. When the acid touches the esophageal lining it causes a burning sensation in the throat. Acid reflux can cause damage to the esophageal lining.
Symptoms of Acid Reflux That Can be Cured by Natural Treatments:
– Regurgitating food and stomach acids into the mouth.
– Burning sensation in the chest and stomach.
– Occasional stabbing pain in the chest.
– Erosion of teeth caused by acid reaching the mouth in severe cases.
Natural Treatments Cure Acid Reflux Caused by:
– Abnormalities in the esophagus.
– Malfunction of the lower esophageal sphincter.
– Abnormal nerve or muscle functions in the stomach.
Types of Acid Reflux:
Supine acid reflux: With supine acid reflux the symptoms are more prominent at bedtime when the individual is lying down.
Upright acid reflux: Acid reflux symptoms are prevalent during the day when the individual is sitting up.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease: Persistent acid reflux symptoms progress to GERD which is a more chronic and serious form of acid reflux.
Antacids and H2 blockers are the most common over-the-counter remedies. At times proton pump inhibitors may be prescribed for recurrent conditions. More severe cases may require fundoplication and endoscopies to tighten the esophageal valve or the esophagus to prevent acid leak.
Natural Treatments That Can Cure Acid Reflux:
– It has been found that obese people have frequent episodes of acid reflux, so lose excess weight. Reduce the calorie intake and increase activity levels gradually. Take care never to skip any meal, however.
– Eat smaller meals at frequent intervals but avoid foods that trigger the symptoms like fried fatty foods, alcohol, carbonated beverages, aerated drinks, citrus juice, etc. Cut down on starches and meat. Follow a healthy diet.
– Aloe vera juice consumed regularly supports digestion and minimizes acid secretions. Consume pure aloe vera juice combined in any non-acidic fruit juices. Start with small doses once a day and gradually work your way up to larger doses for better results.
– Apples are known to neutralize the acid causing reflux. Simply eat half an apple after meals to reduce reflux symptoms. An apple slice can also be eaten half an hour before bedtime to reduce acid reflux during sleep.
– Eat around 5-6 fresh, unsalted raw almonds to reduce acid reflux. The natural oil present in this nut neutralizes the stomach acid gradually reducing the burning sensation.
– Meadowsweet tea has a cooling effect and assists in reducing acid secretion in the stomach. Boil 2 cups of water. Add 2 tbsp dried meadowsweet herb, remove from flame. Steep for 10 min, strain and drink.
– Suck 1-2 black cardamoms with a little honey to soothe the stomach and reduce burning sensations. Alternatively make a tea from 1 tbsp cardamom, 1 small piece cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 2 thin slices of ginger, and lemon rind in 2 cups of boiling water for heartburn symptoms.
– Bananas have a natural antacid effect. It coats and protects the stomach from acid. Incorporate this fruit into your daily diet. Consume a banana half an hour before eating a meal or directly after a meal.
– Increase water intake to help dilute the acids formed in the stomach. Drink approximately 2 glasses of water after every meal to minimize acid reflux.
Frequent acid reflux may suggest gastroesophageal reflux disease, a more severe form of acid reflux. When symptoms are recurrent, visit a doctor for professional help and avoid complicating the condition any further.
Home Cure Guide for Acid Reflux
Download & follow the simple instructions to get rid of Acid Reflux Naturally at Home.