Curing Frozen Shoulders at Home Naturally
Each arm is attached to the shoulder. Therefore it is essential to own a pair of healthy shoulders, for restricted range of motion of the arms and shoulder joint can hamper day to day activities. For strong healthy shoulders one needs to have good muscle balance and solid joint stability. There are various exercises and other natural methods that help in retaining strength and improve movement of the shoulder joint.
Happy Success Stories
What is Frozen Shoulder?
The shoulder is a ball-and-socket joint. Strong connective tissues surround the joint. Stiff or frozen shoulder is basically due to stiffness in connective tissues surrounding the shoulder joint. The tissues thicken and become tight. This causes difficulty and pain with movement. It is medically referred to as adhesive capsulitis.
Symptoms of Frozen Shoulder That Can be Cured by Natural Treatments:
– Dull aching sensation.
– Increased pain with shoulder movements.
Natural Treatments Cure Frozen Shoulder Caused by:
– Immobilization of the shoulder joint for a certain period after surgery.
– Trauma or injuries.
– Shrinkage of the shoulder joint capsule.
– Certain disease conditions.
Types of Frozen Shoulder:
Primary adhesive capsulitis may be caused by certain disease conditions and can affect both shoulders. This type is known to be resistant to some forms of treatment.
Secondary adhesive capsulitis develops from a known cause like trauma, injury, or immobilization for a long duration.
The focus of treatment is to restore both passive and active range of motion, control pain, and strengthen the joint through physiotherapy. Non-steroid-antiinflammatories, injections and physical therapy are generally recommended. When symptoms do not relieve, surgery may be discussed.
Natural Treatments That Can Cure Frozen Shoulder:
– Stand in the doorway, bend your affected arm to 90 degrees as if to reach the doorjamb. Keep your hand in this position and rotate your body externally. Follow this couple of times and gradually increase the repetitions. This gently stretches the shoulder muscles and gives relief.
– Lie down straight on your back. Use the unaffected arm to lift the affected arm overhead to a point until you feel a gentle stretch. Hold in that position for 15 sec and slowly come back to the original position. Relax and repeat couple of times.
– Simple shoulder movements like shrugging in and out and rotation of the shoulder can bring relief.
– Deep breathing exercises will ease discomfort to a great extent. Sit or lie comfortably on your back. Place the tip of the tongue just behind the upper front teeth and keep it there through the entire exercise. Close mouth, inhale through your nose, and hold your breath for a count of seven. Exhale through the mouth with the tip of the tongue in position. Repeat the cycle thrice.
– Black pepper essential oil improves circulation and relieves aching muscles. Mix 4 drops lavender essential oil and 3 drops black pepper essential oil in 15 ml apricot oil. Warm this mixture slightly and gently massage the affected shoulder for relief.
– Add a few drops of ginger oil to your warm bath water and soak your body in it for 10-15 min. This enhances blood circulation and eases muscle tension.
– You can place a water pillow to support the affected shoulder while sleeping.
– Place a hot compress on the affected shoulder for about 5-10 min. When heat is applied to the skin it increases blood circulation bringing nutrients and oxygen to the area essential for healing purposes. It also loosens the muscles and tendons.
The symptoms typically resolve or get better over time. When pain is unbearable, seek a physician’s help to improve your quality of life.