How to Cure GERD at Home Naturally
Gastric reflux is often experienced by most individuals in a milder form, particularly after heavy meals. More severe conditions of reflux symptoms occur in the form of gastroesophageal reflux disease. This is however, a common and treatable disease condition. GERD symptoms are often self treated by using the various available natural ingredients.
What is GERD?
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) involves backward flow of gastric contents into the esophagus due to improper functioning of the lower esophageal sphincter. The sphincter is a ring of muscle present at the lower end of the esophagus that acts as a valve between the esophagus and stomach.
Happy Success Stories
Symptoms of GERD That Can be Cured by Natural Treatments:
– Frequent heartburn.
– Dry cough or asthma like symptoms.
– Trouble swallowing.
– Chest pain especially while lying down at night.
– Nauseous feeling.
– Bad breath.
Natural Treatments Cure GERD Caused by:
– Improper functioning of the lower esophageal sphincter.
– Anatomical abnormalities.
– Excessive smoking.
Types of GERD:
Non-erosive GERD: On visualization of the esophagus, the endoscope fails to reveal any tissue damage to the esophageal lining.
Erosive GERD: This involves frequent acid reflux causing tissue damage with breaks or tears in the esophageal lining.
Barrett’s Esophagus: GERD contributes to this disease form in which the lining of the esophagus appears similar to that of the lining of the intestine.
Treatment aims at minimizing damage to the esophageal lining. Antacids may be prescribed for heartburn symptoms. To minimize acid secretion H2 blockers may be given. Proton pump inhibitors may also be given to inhibit enzymes necessary for acid production. Long term use of prescription drugs often result in side-effects.
Natural Treatments That Can Cure GERD:
– Every morning before breakfast squeeze juice from 1 lemon, add 250 mL water and honey to taste. Drink this and follow as a daily routine to cleanse the stomach of any excess acid and left over food debris.
– Chamomile infusions help in reducing GERD symptoms. Add 2 thin slices of apple to little water left boiling in a pan. Boil 2 cups of water separately. Cook and mash the apples in the pot and add the boiling water. Add to this 2 tbsp fresh chamomile flowers, remove from flame, cover and allow it to steep for 5 min. Strain, add honey for flavor and drink this after dinner.
– Fennel seed stimulates digestion and relieve symptoms of GERD. Boil 2 cups of water, add 1 tbsp fennel seeds. Cover the pan and remove from flame. Steep for 15 min, strain, add honey for taste and drink.
– Ginger root is an effective remedy for GERD. Slice finely 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root. Boil 2 cups of water, add ginger slices and simmer for 20 min. Strain and drink this when warm.
– Celery aids in digestion and helps to keep the stomach acid under control. It relieves muscle spasms and keeps the stomach calm. The high alkaline content counteracts the stomach acid. Keep some fresh celery sticks handy. Cut celery into very small pieces before chewing when hunger strikes in order to reduce acid secretions.
– Eat frequent meals with decreased size portions to control symptoms. Eat dinner 2-3 hours before bedtime allowing enough time to complete digestion and minimize reflux incidents.
– Avoid lying down immediately after a meal and avoid wearing tight clothing and belts.
– Avoid spicy, fatty and fried foods. Aerated, caffeinated beverages, and alcohol consumption to be limited. Citrus fruits, tomatoes, garlic, and chocolates can worsen reflux symptoms. Avoid smoking to keep heartburn at bay.
– Elevate the head of the bed or add extra pillows to raise the head while sleeping to minimize backward flow of stomach contents into the esophagus.
Recurrent inflammation of the esophageal lining can lead to damage and ulcer formation. Seek professional help when symptoms are persistent and lasting for longer durations to avoid any complications.
Download GERD Natural Treatment Guide
Download & follow step by step instructions to get rid of GERD forever.