Curing Sprained Ankle at Home Naturally
Sprains and strains are frequently experienced by individuals active in sports. It may occur due to overuse of muscles and tendons or due to a direct trauma. It is a cause of excruciating pain at the time of the injury and there are several options naturally available for effective management of this condition.
Happy Success Stories
What is Sprained Ankle ?
Ankle is the joint between the foot and the leg. A sprain is a violent twist of a joint or muscles stretched with force causing partial tear of one or more ligaments. Ankle sprain can occur when you fall, when you suddenly twist the ankle like when you land awkwardly on your foot after jumping, etc.
Symptoms of Sprained Ankle That Can be Cured by Natural Treatments:
– Mild bruising.
– Pain at times with severe swelling.
– A giving-way sensation in the ankle joint.
– Inability to place weight on the leg making walking difficult.
Natural Treatments Cure Sprained Ankle Caused by:
– Bend, roll, or twist the ankle beyond its normal limits.
– On uneven surface stepping down on the foot the wrong way.
– Leg length discrepancy.
– Poor footwear.
– Overweight or in poor physical condition.
Types of Sprained Ankle:
Inversion ankle sprain is the common type occurring when the foot falls inward. When this occurs the outer ligaments are stretched too far. Pain is felt outside the ankle joint.
Eversion ankle sprain takes place when the foot is twisted outwards. The inner ligaments are stretched too far causing pain in the inner side of the ankle joint.
Early treatment involves total rest and elevating the ankle above heart level for 48 hrs. Compression using an Ace bandage is done. Ice therapy to reduce any inflammation may be recommended. Anti-inflammatories to control pain and swelling may be given. Strengthening muscle groups and restoring range of motion is followed.
Natural Treatments That Can Cure Sprained Ankle:
– The first step would be to elevate the leg in front of you on a chair. Place an ice bag on the sprained ankle. This will help to reduce any swelling or bruising. Use an elastic bandage to support the ankle. Replace the ice pack after 40 minutes. Remove the bandage before bedtime.
– Immerse the leg in warm water to which 4 drops of sweet Marjoram essential oil is added. Alternately place the leg in cold water for 30 sec. Continue for 5-10 min twice a day. End with dipping the leg in cold water. Sweet Marjoram essential oil acts as an analgesic.
– After a week gently rotate and flex the foot for a few minutes every day.
– Chamomile tea has anti-inflammatory properties and helps soothing the nerves, thus help in dealing with any anxiety feelings. Boil 1 cup of water. Sprinkle 1 tsp dried chamomile flowers onto the water and boil further for 1 min with the lid closed. Remove from flame and steep for 3 min. Strain, add honey and consume 3 cups a day.
– Apply aloe vera gel around the ankle area before retying of bandage every time to keep the skin hydrated. It also contains anti-inflammatory hormones that help in the healing process.
– Apply peppermint essential oil mixed in coconut oil on the ankle area and wrap with a wet warm compress to reduce the tension in the ligaments. Peppermint oil has a soothing and cooling effect, and anti-inflammatory and pain blocking properties.
– Celery has natural anti-inflammatory properties and helps in reducing swelling and pain around the joint. Adding natural anti-inflammatory herbs like celery, Chinese cabbage, turmeric in the diet can give relief.
– The enzyme bromelain help to reduce tissue swelling and pain and speeds up the healing process. Pineapple is a rich source of bromelain. Accommodate this fruit frequently into your diet.
– Comfrey has natural substances that facilitate healing and helps in the production of new cells. Boil some water, remove from flame, and allow 3 min to cool. Pour enough water to cover ½ cup dried comfrey root and steep for 20 min. Transfer into a blender and blend until a paste is formed. Spread a thick paste onto a gauze and wrap the gauze around the ankle. Leave it in place overnight for relief.
When pain occurs above the ankle joint or symptoms persist beyond a few days and do not improve over time, seek prompt medical help to prevent any further complications.
Sprained Ankle Home Cure Guide
Download & follow simple Sprained Ankle rehab program.