Curing Thrush in Babies and Breastfeeding Mothers at Home Naturally
Being a new parent is a wonderful experience, but can be difficult and stressful at times. One of the hardships is suddenly developing sore and painful nipples after a period of pain-free breastfeeding episodes. This is often due to a fungal infection called thrush occurring in the oral cavity of the infant. There are, however, natural remedies available for relief.
Happy Success Stories
What is Thrush?
Thrush is a disease caused by a fungus, Candida albicans, characterized by white patches. It takes the form of a superficial, cheesy, gray-to-white matter that can be easily scraped off and commonly occurs on the tongue, inner cheek, and inner lip regions. Thrush if left unchecked can progress into the throat causing swallowing difficulties and loss of appetite. It can go further down to the esophagus causing respiratory problems. It is also found on the skin and throughout the intestinal tract.
Evidence of oral thrush in babies may occur within 10 days post delivery and when breastfed, the baby infects the mother’s nipple area.
Symptoms of Thrush in Babies and Mothers That Can be Cured by Natural Treatments:
– Bright white coating on the tongue that is different from the milk debris often found on babies tongue which is off-white in color.
– Diaper rash may occur.
– Areola thrush may cause redness and tenderness.
– At times vaginal yeast infection symptoms may also occur in the mother.
Natural Treatments Cure Thrush in Babies and Mothers Caused by:
– Contaminated feeding bottle nipples and pacifiers with Candida may be the source of fungal entry into the baby’s oral cavity.
– Dentures in children.
– Disease conditions.
– Immunosuppressive therapy.
– Stress, diet, and lifestyle changes.
It is important to treat the infant and mother simultaneously, especially when the baby is breastfed. When treating the baby, oral topical liquid or medicated cream applications with the help of a Q-tip or a small gauze is effective. Oral medications and topical creams are often recommended for adults.
Natural Treatments That Can Cure Thrush in Babies and Mothers:
– To effectively cure thrush symptoms it is essential to begin treatment with strengthening the overall immune system. Astragalus herb boosts the immune system. Grate 1-inch piece ginger and 3 slices of astragalus root. Boil 4 cups of water and add the grated roots. Remove from flame and steep for 3-5 min. Add lemon juice for flavor and consume 3 cups a day for benefits.
– Reduce the consumption of sugar, refined carbohydrates, most dairy products, alcohol, and minimize smoking.
– Apply with a cotton swab pure virgin coconut oil in and around the oral area of the infant. Caprylic acid is the main ingredient that checks fungal growth.
– Dip a cotton ball in yogurt and apply on the baby’s tongue and mother’s nipple. Adults should consume plain yogurt with live acidophilus, the healthy bacteria, regularly. Good bacteria in normal conditions check the overgrowth of Candida and help to keep it under control.
– Dilute 1 tsp baking soda in 1 cup water and apply on the mother’s nipple area. Baking soda has powerful anti-fungal properties.
– Calendula is anti-fungal and soothing. Calendula tincture applied on the nipple relieves nipple pain. Place a handful of fresh calendula flowers in a glass jar. Fill the jar to the top with ethanol and close. Place the jar in a cool dry place for approximately 4 weeks. Strain and pour the tincture into a dark bottle for storage. When needed dilute 12 parts of this tincture with 10 parts fresh water and apply on the affected area.
– Dilute apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp in 1 cup water and rinse nipples after each feeding. Apple cider vinegar has been used as an antimicrobial agent since ancient times.
– Oil of oregano contains carvacrol, a phenol, which is an antifungal agent. Mix 5-10 drops of oil of oregano in 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and apply on the affected area for relief.
– Wash the nipple area, hands, and infant’s mouth after each feeding session since milk is a perfect growth medium for fugal organisms.
– Use disposable paper nursing pads and paper towels. Moist fabrics encourage the fungus to multiply.
Painful breastfeeding episodes are often why mother’s stop breastfeeding. Seek immediate medical help if symptoms are persistent for quicker relief.
Thrush Home Cure Guide
Get Professional Guide to Cure Thrush Naturally at Home – using simple & Improvised Home Remedies.