How to Cure TMJ at Home Naturally
Temporomandibular joint disorder also commonly known as TMJ is a very serious health condition. This typically arises in those who involuntarily clench or grind their teeth, most often in their sleep. Symptoms can be relieved or prevented from aggravating by simple home remedies.
What is TMJ?
Temporomandibular joint connects the jawbone (mandibular bone) to the skull, close to the temple. The joints are situated on either side of the head, located just in front of the ears. A joint is where two bones meet allowing movement and flexibility between the two involved bones. The jaw joint plays a very essential role in chewing, yawning, speaking, and making facial expressions. TMJ virtually refers to the temporomandibular joint but is generally used to refer TMJ disorders. TMJ disorder occurs when either or both of the joints stop functioning properly.
Symptoms of TMJ That Can be Cured by Natural Treatments:
- Frequent headaches experienced in the mornings.
- Clicking and popping with jaw movement.
- Jaw stiffness and soreness.
- Difficulty opening the mouth.
- Facial, tooth, neck, and shoulder pain.
- Pain with chewing, yawning.
- Ear pain.
Natural Treatments Cure TMJ Caused by:
- Since teeth grinding and clenching occurs in sleep it may be due to bad dreams.
- Crooked jaw due to internal derangement of the joint.
- Inflammatory joint disease.
Temporomandibular disorders can occur when the muscles and ligaments situated around the jaw joint are affected. It can also occur when there is derangement or disintegration of the structures inside the joint.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, mouth guard to be worn at night to prevent grinding of teeth, or dental treatments. When the disorder is triggered by stress, stress management or psychotherapy may be required. More severe cases may require surgery involving joint replacement or repair of the disc located between the mandibular and temporal bone.
Natural Treatments That Can Cure TMJ:
- Garlic is a natural pain killer. It contains sulfur which is essential to repair tissue damage and highly recommended in treating TMJ disorders.
- Valerian is a natural relaxant and stress reducer. It is also known for its muscle-relaxing properties. Valerian root extracts can help in treating TMJ disorders.
- Kava again is a natural stress and anxiety reducer. It helps in calming down the nerves. Since TMJ can be caused by stress, usage of kava herb is beneficial to treat this condition.
- Magnesium is a muscle relaxant and helps in reducing TMJ symptoms. A diet rich in magnesium like spinach, broccoli, turnip greens, pumpkin seeds, etc. is recommended.
- Flax seed is rich in omega-3 fatty acids essential to fight against inflammation in our body. Ground flax seeds added in every day diet can help ease TMJ pain.
- Alternate use of heat and ice packs around the jaw area to reduce symptoms. Ice compress helps in reducing inflammation if any and heat packs improves the blood circulation and relaxes the muscles.
- Avoid foods that are hard to chew or those that requires taking big bites with the jaw wide open. Minimize jaw movements and whenever possible rest the jaw joint.
- Strengthen the jaw muscles by doing simple chin extension and yawning exercises regularly before bedtime.
- Relax the body before going to bed by way of meditation or deep breathing exercises.
Most often TMJ disorders improve over time. However, in case the symptoms last longer or recur, seek medical help.
Professional Natural Treatment for Quick Cure
Best Seller Ebook