How to Improve Posture at Home Naturally
As a child many a times we would have been told to ‘sit up straight with the chest out’, ‘stand up straight’, or ‘stop slouching.’ Bad gait or posture with marked stooping of the head, shoulders, and excessive relaxation of body muscles is unimpressive. There are several exercises and techniques which when used strictly can help in improving poor posture.
Happy Success Stories
What is Posture?
The position of the body assumed for a specific purpose is termed as posture. Our legs carry the whole body weight and are partially responsible for posture. If the feet are weak, the whole body balance is affected. Lack of proper body balance often leads to poor posture.
Symptoms of Poor Posture That Can be Cured by Natural Treatments:
– A head that leans either forward or backward when standing.
– Rounded shoulders, bent knees when standing.
– Pain in the back with even simple activities of daily life.
– Body aches or muscle fatigue.
– Frequent headaches.
Natural Treatments Cure Poor Posture Caused by:
– Lack of exercise.
– Lack of abdominal strength.
– High heels and even totally flat footwear.
– Heavy shoulder bags, especially noted among school going children.
Types of Poor Posture:
With the pelvis tilted forward the body develops an anterior stoop.
Posterior tilt of the pelvis causes the torso to lean back.
Kyphosis is an excessive curve of the upper spine in which the spine develops a C shape instead of the normal S shape.
One side of the pelvis and shoulder is higher than the other. This bends the body to one side and the upward tilted side feels tighter with less range of motion.
Natural Treatments That Can Improve Posture:
– Avoid sitting on soft, cushiony chairs. Use lumbar rolls to support your lower back when required to sit for long durations.
– Take time off often when required to sit in front of a computer for longer periods. Stretch your arms and hands and shift positions when possible.
– Sleep on a firm mattress to support your spine, and use pillows to support your neck. Avoid sleeping on your stomach as it places pressure on the neck.
– Keep your back straight, bend at knees, and use your thigh muscles when lifting heavy objects to prevent strains.
– The shoulders, hips, knees, and ankles should be in line when standing. The spine should be straight but not stiff.
– Walk with balancing a book on your head. It will help your body to remember to walk straight and tall.
– Lie on your stomach on the floor. With the palms facing down, extend your arms out in front of you. Lift your arms and legs off the ground like as if you were flying. Hold in this position for several counts and then relax. Repeat this couple of times initially and then gradually increase the number of repetitions.
– Lie on the ground on all fours, with your hands directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips. Gaze downwards with your chin tucked in. Draw your navel towards your spine and focus on strengthening abdominal muscles. Straighten and lift your right leg in level with the hips. Once steady, lift the left arm up to shoulder height. Hold in this position initially for 3-5 breaths. Lower your arm and leg gradually and relax. Reverse sides. Once both sides are completed, lower your hips onto the heels, forehead on the floor, relax and rest for several minutes. Gradually increase the repetitions.
– Stretching hamstring muscles helps to improve posture. Stand up straight and gradually reach down trying to touch your toes. With more practice this can be achieved. The legs should feel the pull but be careful not to slip.
– When showering tilt your head backwards instead of looking down while washing hair. This relaxes the neck muscles. Stretch the neck muscles by rotating the head in circles slowly.
Changes in lifestyle habits and regular exercises are sufficient enough to correct poor posture. Excess body weight, improper lifting techniques, and bad posture are the main reasons for developing back pain. When backache establishes, seek medical help for effective management.
Guide to Improve Posture.
Download Posture Improving guide .