Curing Ulcerative Colitis at Home Naturally
Inflammatory bowel diseases can occur at any age. Severe inflammation of the mucosal lining of colon results in ulcers which are often painful as well as debilitating in nature. Certain natural methods have known to be beneficial to most sufferers in effective management. The goal for treatment should be to control the inflammation and correct nutritional deficiencies.
What is Ulcerative Colitis ?
Ulcerative colitis is inflammation and ulcers in the lining of the rectum and colon. The lining of the colon becomes inflamed to the extent that it kills the cells and forms ulcers. This also causes the colon to empty frequently.
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis That Can be Cured by Natural Treatments:
– Loss of appetite, weight loss, fatigue.
– Diarrhea, rectal bleeding.
– Abdominal cramps, nausea.
– Joint pain.
– In children leads to growth retardation.
Natural Treatments Cure Ulcerative Colitis Caused by:
– Sensitivity to certain foods.
– Genetic factors.
– Improper functioning of the immune system.
Types of Ulcerative Colitis:
Crohn’s is a form of inflammatory bowel disease but causes inflammation deeper within the intestinal wall. It can also occur in the mouth, esophagus, and rectum.
Treatment goal is to treat inflammatory conditions with drugs and maintain remission. A special diet is to be followed. Prescription drugs are recommended to relieve pain or diarrheal symptoms. When symptoms are severe enough to threaten the patient’s overall health, surgery may be performed.
Natural Treatments That Can Cure Ulcerative Colitis:
– Dietary manipulation is effective to a certain extent. Individuals who avoid consuming yeast, wheat, milk, and fried foods have found it beneficial. Cutting down on meat and dairy products is also known to give relief.
– Consume green leafy vegetables, a high fiber and complex carbohydrate diet after the healing process to avoid recurrences.
– Avoid intake of high acidic drinks, carbonated, and alcoholic beverages.
– Avoid fast foods or restaurant foods as far as possible.
– Yogurt is rich in healthy bacteria called acidophilus that aids in digestion. The pro-biotic in yogurt helps the digestive system maintain a healthy balance between the good and bad bacteria, and also has anti-inflammatory effects. Thus it is beneficial for stomach inflammatory conditions. Incorporate yogurt in your daily diet for better results.
– Licorice is a strong anti-inflammatory agent and inhibits the abilities of stomach acids to damage the stomach lining. Licorice tea is prepared by boiling 1 cup of water. Add 1 tsp licorice root powder and remove from flame. Steep for 5-7 min. Strain and drink when warm. Consume at least 3 glasses for benefits.
– Turmeric acts as a natural anti-inflammatory agent and is helpful in keeping this condition in remission. Add 1-2 g of powdered turmeric in daily recipes for maximum benefits.
– The high amount of omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil helps giving relief for ulcerative colitis sufferers. Hence regular intake of fish oil supplements is recommended.
– Coconut milk and coconut water helps soothe the inflammatory stomach condition. It also boosts the immune system. Fresh homemade coconut milk can be made by grating coconut, mixing it in a blender, and straining the milk out. It is more beneficial than the canned ones. Smoothies can be prepared from these and consumed often.
– Hemp oil is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and has anti-inflammatory properties. It is ideal for salad dressings, mayonnaise, and dips but not for frying purposes.
– Extract juice from wheat grass and add to your glass of vegetable or fruit juices to help relieve stomach inflammation. It helps to cleanse the colon and improve digestive health.
Chronic inflammation of the stomach linings can lead to colon cancers. Thus when the symptoms prolong or are recurrent, seek professional help.